st tydfil's well church, the quar
The Church was built in 1862 with locally quarried stone. It has a ‘barn-like’ appearance that belies its warm and cosy interior. It can be found in amongst the terraced streets that are regarded as the oldest part of Merthyr Tydfil and is regularly used for both mid-week and Sunday worship, including Junior Church.
Service Times at St Tydfil's Well, The Quar
- Sunday 11am - Sung Eucharist with Junior Chuch
- Thursday 10.30am - Holy Eucharist
St Tydfil's Well Church, Church Street, The Quar, Merthyr Tydfil CF47 8TA
Telephone 01685 553529
Church hall £10 per hour. Tel: Sue Morris 01685 382017
Nestling amongst the small terraced dwellings built for the workers at the Cyfarthfa Ironworks is the little church of St Tydfil's Well. It takes its name from the district of Tydfil's Well which is now known as the Quar, and the church has become more familiarly known as Quar Church. This area is largely regarded as one of the oldest parts of the town of Merthyr Tydfil but despite intense speculation, it is not possible to determine for certain the precise location of the well commonly associated with the martyr Tydfil.
The origins of the Church go back to 1862 when a living was granted to the Revd John Griffith Rector of Merthyr Tydfil by the Second Marquis of Bute namely, "a chapel of ease at the quarry'' in recognition of 'missionary' work in the district. As a result of the successful application for permission to build, a committee was formed to collect subscriptions in accordance with Rule Two of the Church Extension Society (1850). This rule allowed provision for suitable buildings which may also be used for Sunday or week-day schools. The money collected was banked at Messrs Wilkins Old Brecon Bank, Pontyrhun, and prior to the commencement of building and the completion of the Church, permission was granted for worshippers to congregrate in the long room of the Rose and Crown public house for an indefinite length of time.
In typical Victorian style, the 'barn-like' appearance of this small locally quarried stone edifice had plain surfaced interior walls painted with colour, plain glass windows and a simple table upon which to celebrate the sacrament of Holy Communion. All services were originally in Welsh, which was quite understandable given that the English-speaking Anglicans had already been accommodated at St David's Church situated in the centre of the town. However, by 1881, services in English were gradually introduced to co-exist with the Welsh and which formed one half of the weekly worship.
Through the intervening years up to the present day, the church has been lovingly enhanced through generous donations by devoted worshippers. In 1904, a pulpit was made and dedicated to replace the old lectern, and by 1926 the present hall and vestry were added. The East and West windows with their stained glass were brought up from St David's to be installed along with the font, whilst the main altar which is now to be seen came from St Tydfil's Parish Church. One endearing feature however must certainly be mentioned; in 1887 a Jubilee Bell turret was erected to replace the dilapitated one that was already in place.
Although built to seat only 250 people, St Tydfil's Well has had a full and vigorous history both spiritually and socially. Concert evenings have filled the Church to capacity. It is still held with deep affection within the parish and celebrations continue throughout the week. With its more modern approach to Anglican worship, this lovely little church is well equipped to bring its teachings into this new century.